Three Postpartum Essentials

You know when you have plans all lined up for something and absolutely nothing ends up following the script you had in your head? That was what happened to me the last day in the hospital after having baby Chez. Hubby and I woke up Halloween morning anxious to be discharged so we could watch the girls in their costume parade at school. I planned to get some pics on the way out the door so I could do a "coming home outfit" post. But Gavin's back had different plans. 

A little background story, a few months ago, he was helping his brother move some things when he threw out his back. Guys, it was bad. He couldn't walk, he couldn't stand on his own, he couldn't do anything he was in so much pain. Luckily, he got better quickly, but after sleeping on a hard pull out couch at the hospital for a few nights must have done a number on him because as he bent to take off the sheets, he threw out his back AGAIN. 

So instead of wheeling ME out of the hospital in a wheelchair, carrying our new little bundle of joy, I was wheeling HIM out. No time for pictures, cute outfits, makeup or anything. So much for that plan. 

(Maybe that sounds harsh, I know it's hard to show sarcasm in text, but I'm smiling while writing this. I'm the kind of person that if I'm inconvenienced, but can get a good story out of it, I don't really get mad at all.)

So now my plan is to share with you a few of my favorite things that have made my life just a bit easier and more comfortable these few weeks postpartum. 

Three Postpartum Essentials 


Number One: Comfortable Clothes-
I don't need to tell you this, but having a baby is like... kinda hard on your body. (Duh!)



If you're like me, I felt a million times better than I did just after pushing out a 7 pound baby than I did most of my pregnancy. But still there's tearing, stitches, swelling and all that fun stuff to deal with afterwards and all you'll wanna do is snuggle that sweetie of yours and be comfortable doing it. Maybe I'm a vain person, but after feeling like a frump for 9 months straight, I also wanted to feel somewhat pretty after giving birth. Enter Lounge and Liv. 



These guys were recommended to me from a few friends who said they offered the most comfy dresses ever. They are like stylish muumuu's! (Or as they call them, 'numuumuu' haha!) And not only are they comfortable, you can also nurse in them! Cha-ching! I am not embarrassed to admit that I wore mine for a few days until I absolutely had to wash them. 

Number Two: Something the baby will ACTUALLY sleep in-



Ok so I know this is easier said than done. How will you know what your baby will prefer before they are born? I guess after four kids, I probably should have remembered what the newborn sleeping situation is like but if we really remembered, no one would have more than one, right?!

I love the trendy Moses baskets that are so popular so I got one and just assumed that would be all well and good. Except, newborns don't love sleeping flat on their back and she wailed all night long the first night home. 

The next night, we tried our Mamaroo swing. It was a little bit better. She was a little inclined so wasn't completely flat, but she still just wanted to be held all night long. 

Third night, we tried our Rock 'n Play. This was my son's favorite and I'll admit, I totally forgot it was in my basement until my sister in law mentioned it. (Thanks Kate!) Better. But the batteries had died and it wouldnt vibrate. The next night, we got it working and was still even better. 

I should mention that baby girl was up literally nursing ever two hours every night and I was raw. Binky's weren't cutting it and I think she just needed the comfort. Another problem was that not only would she fall asleep in the middle of nursing, I would too. And then I'd wake up in a panic thinking I could have rolled over on her in the night. I wanted something a little safer if we would end up co-sleeping. (Gavin was sleeping in the recliner because of his back so I got the whole bed to myself.)



By the fifth night, our DocATot arrived. Guys... There is a reason so many people have these! She slept FOUR hours in it the first night. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it made a HUGE difference to this sleep deprived mama. 



According to their website, "DockATot has been designed to offer a snug and soothing environment for babies. Many babies prefer a nurturing, cozy surrounding that mimics the mother’s womb." And now it totally makes sense why she'd prefer this to any of the other's we tried. So I'll save you the hassle, just get a DockATot from the get-go.

I did received my DocATot in exchange for a review, HOWEVER- all opinions are completely my own. Get 10% off your Dock with code hellowhimzy10



Number three: Meals-
Last but not least- I found having pre-made meals ready to go was a lifesaver! The absolute LAST thing I want to worry about is what I'm going to feed my family every night. Here's a few of my favorite ways to be prepared.



  1. Spoonful of ComfortThis adorable company is absolutely brilliant! Their philosophy is that although you cannot always be there for someone you love, you can send them a warm hug through the mail with a hearty meal of soup, rolls and cookies. Since I have many loved ones all over the country, this is my new go-to whenever a friend has a baby or just needs a pick me up. I was able to get a box for myself as well as send one to a friend who lives out of state. She said that it came at the perfect time because her hubby had been working a lot lately (Med school resident) and her and the kids were about to head out of state to visit family. She didnt have any plans for dinner when a darling box ended up on her doorstep with a full meal and lots and lots of love. 
    I was thrilled when our box came because we just couldn't do another night of cereal. (I wish I was kidding!) I didnt have to worry about prepping or anything and we were able to enjoy a warm meal on a cold night together as a family, without sacrificing newborn baby snuggles! 

  2. Citrus Pear Or make your own freezer meals. If you haven't heard of Citrus Pear yet, you gotta look them up. (Sorry if you aren't local to Utah! Maybe see if there's anything in your area that is similar.) This company is basically a class that you can take at your local grocery store where you'll prepare 10-20 freezer meals. Each meal is healthy and super delicious. I took the class with some friends and not only was it a blast, but I left with a ton of meals, no clean up and a free diet coke. Haha. WINNER WINNER! 

  3. Neighbors and friends
    I've learned that it's OK to accept help. In fact, most people are absolutely thrilled to help out and providing a meal is a pretty simple thing to do. (They are making their own family dinner after all!) This time around I learned to be more accepting to allowing people to bring food.
    It is a rare talent to allow others to serve you.

    Note: I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir but don't take advantage of peoples kindness and get greedy! Just a few meals will do the trick as you dont want people thinking you're taking advantage of them. I even had a bunch of homemade cookie dough made so all I had to do was pop a few in the oven, write out a thank you card, and BAM! Mission Accomplished. 


 

Anyway, I know this is a long post, but hopefully you found it informative and helpful. I think that anything to help you transition into motherhood is welcome in my book! Even if it is your fourth child! ;) 

Did you find this helpful? What else would YOU add to your postpartum essentials list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Pregnancy Essentials

Fairies in Spring Quarantine!

Are Ya Kitten Me?-It's a Kitten Party!