Femininity

 

The other day I was nursing the babe and doing what I do best, scrolling through my Instagram when a video caught my eye. I couldn't tell you why I decided to click on it, but I did. The video was of a young girl getting her Quincenera dress and it ends with the phrase:

"Femininity is a Super Power."


I. LOVE. THAT. Let me tell you why. . .
First off, the word 'femininity' is different than 'feminism' or 'feminist'. A feminist is someone who supports women's equal rights to men, thus making them a supporter of feminism, right? Well what is femininity? Not to go all teach-y on you, but I looked it up and here is what I found:

Definition of femininity

"The quality of being female; womanliness." 

Guys!.... 
FEMININITY IS A SUPERPOWER!

 

3
Now disclaimer here: I am in NO way opposed to feminism or feminists but I think the topic of FEMININITY is something that we don't necessarily accept as a culture. In fact, I naively went on to read the comments thinking I'd rub shoulders with some like-minded folks. (Why is this a lesson I continuously have to learn? Don't read the comments guys! Just don't.) And I saw that a lot of people don't think like I do. In fact, most were 'offended' by the sentiment.
"How is getting a dress a superpower?"
"This sets feminists back a hundred years!"
"If one isn't a feminist, that means femininity is inherently being viewed as inferior."
...


You get the idea. That last comment got me thinking. IS femininity viewed as inferior? 

Now bear with me as I try to get my thoughts out there. I don't necessarily view myself as a feminist by today's standards. Yes, I believe with all my heart that women should get all the same rights and equality as men, HOWEVER, I don't think they necessarily have to act on it.
Allow me to explain. I am a woman and as such I am different than a man. There's no denying that. I have different roles, responsibilities, abilities and tendencies than my husband, but I am equally important and equally valued. 
Today it is almost as if society tells you that in order to be considered equal to a man, you must do the same things as a man and perhaps do them better. And not only do the same things as a man and do them better, but also to do all things that are expected as a woman as well. 
I don't know about you, but those standards are super disheartening and overwhelming. 
I personally don't want to take that honor away from my husband. He needs to be valued and respected in his roles as well. After all, if I could do everything myself, what would I need him for? I, for one, am proud to rely and need my husband. It's a wonderful to feel needed, isn't it?

2

All of that being said, I feel like I need to make a statement regarding my wonderful friends and readers who are single mothers and as a result may sometimes find themselves wearing both hats. Ladies, I applaud you. I am in awe of your determination, sacrifices and love you display every day. I have no doubt in my mind that those efforts do not go unnoticed and you are blessed because of them. 

girls

Now back to the word femininity. I love feeling feminine. I love wearing skirts and lipstick, nurturing those around me and crying during a chick-flick. I love that my husband is masculine, that he provides and protects my family and kills the spiders when I won't even be in the same room as the nasty buggers. Does this make me inferior? Heck no. At least, I don't see it that way. 

I guess my take-away from all of this is that as a woman, it's ok to be feminine, it's ok to be masculine (yes, even if you are a girl!) It's ok to rely on a man and it's ok to rely on yourself. Women should support women even when their opinions differ. You be you. All I ask is that you Spread Happy Thoughts and love. 

Femininity is a superpower and man is it good to be a girl. 

Xoxo- Lauren

 

lauren
 Photos by Utah Alternative

Comments

  1. What excellent thoughts!!! My man is SO good for my sanity in addition to providing for us and being masculine and killing spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this view point! I appreciate femininity and love being a woman... also appreciate not being a man because that's another role to fill. Beautiful and strong are the women who do fill the role of a 'man' *hugs* and grateful are those who have solid men and partners in their life to help with the balancing act.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Pregnancy Essentials

Fairies in Spring Quarantine!

Are Ya Kitten Me?-It's a Kitten Party!